I love when great synchronicity happens...and it happened for me this week. And, of course, it has to do with Philip K. Dick - YES!
On Thursday, my son, Trevor, sent an article on the great Sean Young and how she and Darryl Hannah are virtually ignored in discussions of Blade Runner, focusing more on the male actors/director. We emailed back and forth on the state of women in Hollywood and, in general, how they are eaten alive and spit out.
Blade Runner’s Sean Young: ‘If I were a man I’d have been treated better’
Then Thursday night I watched the new episode of The Americans entitled, "Do Mail Robots Dream of Electric Sheep: - Whooaaa!!
In keeping in Kindred spirit of Dick's amazing novel, Elizabeth Jennings, the lead female in The Americans, takes on the role of Deckard.
As a "true believer", Elizabeth is on a mission to rid the world of evil no matter how much collateral damage she has to invoke. and then having to face that she has become the evil one herself, thus embodying the great Dick paradox of the story and an idea that haunted Dick from the early days when researching the Nazi culture for his most lauded novel, The Man in the High Castle.
All things Dick and I applaud the writers of The Americans for honoring him with this great episode!
Have a listen to the great man himself and his definition of an android - this is a wonderful and funny interview especially what he has to say about Hollywood!!
Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interview
No comments:
Post a Comment